Tuesday 25 August 2015

Language Confusion!!! Bloody Nouns!!!!!





Hello there campers! I'm back! 

Look at you all, my adoring public! I stand on the podium and raise my fist in the air as an enormous Mexican wave reverberates through a gigantic ocean of people across mountains and nations and continents and colours and creeds to ripple back across the internet and return to the colossus of cultural coordination that is my blog. I take a bow. It's the very least I could do
...I'm honored that all 10 of you are so glad to see me! :-)

Since my last post my wife and I have been living in the UK. We then decided it was a bit shit. And moved back. 


I now need to get a job! However, my Swedish has reached an extremely annoying stage of development. I can read novels and history magazines and newspapers. I can even burble about politics and religion. But if I worked in a shop and a stressed customer barked a question at me, I probably wouldn't understand them!

Why? I just don't know all the nouns


In a shop it's always:


 "do you have blah?


or


"it seems you've run out of blah-broo, but can you fetch some "blagga-boing?". 


In a normal conversation with a friend, I can say "AHA! Is blah the same as blunga-bobbit?" and the meaning is eventually conveyed with much gesturing and description of contexts. 


Needless to say, stressed customers just won't have the patience!


But I think I have a solution: work for a shop that deals in a specific product.
So instead of having to learn bloo and bang-bopp and (heaven forbid) Beeboppdaloola, I simply learn different kinds of one product:

blippy.1
blippy.2
blippy.3
and so on......

Well, that's my reckoning anyway...  :-/







  




No comments:

Post a Comment