Monday 30 July 2018

Swedish Course: Svenska Som Andraspråk



Discuss language and power. In 120 words or less summarize a 20 minute video of a lecture on sustainability in small-scale fishing communities. Hard? Too bad, you gotta do it in Swedish!

These are some of the assignments I’ve faced in the Swedish course "Svenska Som Andraspråk 1" ("Swedish as Another Language 1" or “SSA 1”). SSA is a bit like an A-level and is split into three courses: SSA 1, SSA 2 and SSA 3. After SSA 3 you can study subjects in Swedish at university.

The assignments seem designed to push you above the ‘plateau of comfort’. You’re never going to reach that higher level by chatting about the weather. Describing more complicated, nuanced subjects requires a matching language. The best way to write and speak at a higher level is to have a reason to do so. SSA assignments provide that reason.

The course is offered for free by the local council and all the material you need is online. I’m studying a ‘flexible’ version of the course, meaning I have the option to go in and physically watch lectures etc. Most of my questions are answered by a teacher via online message. The software is easy to use and you can even download an app for it.

The pattern for the course is pretty simple. There are four modules, and at the end of each module there are one or two assessed assignments. At the beginning of  each module you have to study the course material that helps you complete the assignments at the end. At the end of the course there are also some tests.

I’m enjoying the course. Completing an assignment means you get a sense of accomplishment. I get the feeling my learning is far more focussed than when I was simply absorbing whatever I could in my day-to-day life. The assignments of the course provide the challenge and focus I need to take it to the next stage :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment