Wednesday 23 March 2011

Back to School and German kids

My Swedish is bad. It's like Tarzan with a speech impediment. Learning it makes me feel like a premenstrual woman! For fleeting moments I feel I'm on top of the world. I'm learning Swedish, how amazing! Then I suddenly feel I'm a helpless baby in a strange country and it's all going down the pan.


I went to the Arbetsförmedlingen (job centre) today. The receptionist there said I spoke good Swedish. Of course she was just humouring me - being nice to the struggling Englishman etc.. But that small gesture was enough to make me bloody jubilant!


Right now I'm sitting in the public library at a small table complete with PCs and German kids playing computer games. What could I do but follow suit? So I decided to start playing this and put off my Swedish homework for the time being. Quite fun isn't it? But that homework's still there in my bag, waiting for me.....

Now one of the young kids has started humming "In the Club" by Danny and is murmuring "Prepare to die, bitch" under his breath as he slaughters some pixelated perpretrator. Well, at least he's being quiet. It IS a library you know. I'm more worried about the song. Just listen:





Monstrous how we corrupt our children, eh?






No comments:

Post a Comment