Wednesday 20 July 2011

Starting work in Sweden and England: Trust or Control?


I work in a supermarket in Sweden, but I don't feel oppressed or bored. On the contrary, although this work is tiring it's the best job I've ever had. The reason is simple. They trust me. Here in Sweden, they start off with trust. They assume you'll do your job adequately until proven otherwise, and they 
leave you alone to do your job. They trust you to do your job. I can only explain it by saying English workplaces can feel less open-hearted. Less welcoming. Slightly mean-spirited

Starting a job in England often goes like this : first a period of trial,
 then trust. I'm not talking about the 'probation period' in a contract - that exists in Sweden just like anywhere else. I'm talking emotionally. You feel on trial. The attitude towards new employees in most places I've worked could be expressed thus: "We've graciously given you a job, now you owe it to us to prove yourself. We're watching you, New Bloke". At first glance this seems fair. But lack of trust in new employees naturally leads to interference. Some employers will tell you how they used to do your job or give you very specific guidelines on how it should be done. You may worry about appearing impertinent if you choose to do the job your own way. Even more annoying, I have often found that different people will give different (and often conflicting) advice! Who's advice shall you take (if any). You may become flustered and indecisive. How can you feel ownership over your own work under these stifling conditions? And all the while you feel observed and nervous about making mistakes. 

In Sweden they wait until it's broken 
before they fix it. I can honestly say it's been a very positive influence on me. If no trust is shown in a new employee and the original reasons they've been hired, that employee will feel it. If you trust someone to do their job they will feel the approval. I work in the freezer section, and sometimes it's really cold! Nevertheless, I am happy. For me, the trust system works. I have been left alone to devise my own methods. I feel ownership and pride in my work. I know where things are, how to prioritise and how to reorganise things for a big delivery. When the freezer boss went on holiday I was trusted to do these things, so I did them. It's that simple.  

I have to write a short disclaimer now. Of course I cannot speak for the whole of England and the millions of great jobs and wonderful employers there. Of course good advice from an employer is a positive influence.  Of course mistakes need to be corrected (although more mistakes will be made due to shattered nerves if the employee feels that 'Big Brother is watching' them). I certainly hope I haven't put anybody off. I myself will return to England to live at some point! All I'm saying is that I feel that the more relaxed atmosphere in Sweden can bring out the best in some people. 


It's only fair to say it can also bring out the worst in others. The lazy and the workshy will possibly find it easier to get away with it in Sweden! "There you go" say the cynical! But I believe this danger is overridden by the positive aspects of job satisfaction that comes from trusting employees.





No comments:

Post a Comment