Friday 15 July 2011

Swedish Funeral

Well, I have been to my first Swedish funeral.


It was an odd experience. Some of the hymns I knew, but couldn't fit the Swedish words to the tune. The words of the pastor completely passed me by, although my wife told me he was speaking in old-fashioned, formal Swedish. I only understood "herregud" - "oh God". Obviously it was not used as an exclamation by the pastor


The inside of the church (Lutheran) was modern, airy and light. It was a very nice space to be in and had none of the sombre oppressiveness of some churches.


I had never seen the dress of a Lutheran pastor up close. The main difference I noted was that he wore what I can only describe as a 'fan' rather than a collar. He kept fiddling with it when he was nervous. When he did this it flapped around rather comically.







  


No comments:

Post a Comment