Friday 6 January 2017

Sun Plays Peekaboo



I saw this beautiful sunrise recently and it was like I could breathe again. Like my heart was swelling in my chest and I was happy to be alive and everything was going to be alright. I went out and stood stock still in the sunlight for ten whole minutes.

You might think this is an odd reaction. You might think "It's just the sun!".

But I live in Sweden and it's winter. Although there is light here in Gothenburg, there can be days of what I call 'Gothenburg grey' when it's cloudy and gloomy from morning till sunset (which is about 3pm).

Clear sunny days feel like a blessing sent from above. Like your soul is coming out from hibernation. It's hard to explain. This country's mood is largely decided by the seasons. Light and the return of summer after winter's murk is a prevalent theme in Swedish folk and church music. You can understand why Midsummer is still celebrated here  I can't imagine anything else more worthy of celebration! People take weeks of holiday at summertime to soak up the sun. It's just common sense!

I used to think that taking all your holiday in summer was a waste.  How little I understood!  Summer is the time Swedes recharge their batteries. You gotta crack open the solar panel of your soul and load up on those rays, man!

And if that sounds too hippy for you then I don't care! The sun's coming back, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment